Thursday, September 10, 2009

School Daze

Erica had her 1st day of Preschool yesterday. Yeah! Well, almost yeah.


We were all prepared, very excited. Erica went to bed early. Unfortunately, she woke up around 10 PM screaming. She said something was ringing in her ear. And I thought: Uh-oh its an ear infection. She cried and cried and cried.
I called the pediatritian. He said to give her Tylenol. And that if she didn't get better, take her to the ER. Great. Well, I tried to settle her down. We watched Dora while I held her. I did something naughty-- I gave her Benadryl to make her sleepy. Nothing worked.
So at midnight I took her to the ER. I explained first that we'd have to wait a long time but she wanted to. After 15 minutes though, she got tired of waiting. And she was getting drowsy too. So we came home [before even signing in!] and she fell right asleep.
I planned on just keeping her home from school. It was a sad decision to make b/c of it being the first day. But I thought it would be for the best, and that way I'd be able to take her to the Dr when they opened in the morning.
Because of this, I didn't set my alarm. I just slept and slept. Well, at 8:18 she came to me and woke me up: "I'm ready for my first day of school, mommy!" The silly girl was already dressed!!!
I asked and asked if she felt okay. She didn't even remember going to the hospital. She didn't have any pain at all. So I decided to take her to school. Which starts at 8:30. And it was already 8:20. YIKES!!!
She scarfed down cereal and we ran out the door. [All the pictures were taken after school, not before.] I got her there only 2 minutes late. The teacher hadn't started anything yet, so all was good.
Preschool was great. She had a blast. To celebrate, Erica and I went out for lunch. Afterward though, I called her Dr to make an appointment to check her ears, just in case. Wouldn't you know it... she has a serious ear infection. The Dr was surprised that she wasnt screaming still.
So now she's taking medicine. She hates the taste, and hates the eardrops even more. But I don't want it getting any worse.
Right now Erica is at preschool again. Its everyday from 8:30 to 12:00. And since its 11:30, I need to wrap this up so that I can pick her up.
Toodles!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids can be really funny sometimes when they really want to do something. I'm glad that she was able to enjoy her first day despite the infection...they are the worst.

CrAzY Working Mom said...

I have ti sit on my kiddos to get ear drops in their ears! They'd rather be in pain. *LOL*

I hope she's better by now. Ear infections are NOT fun.