Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Reminisce

So, I'm going to reminisce for a little while--

Its such a wonderful night. The weather is just beautiful. So, we turned off the air conditioning and opened up the windows. So nice.

BUT THERE'S A BLASTED CRICKET OUTSIDE!!! He's chirping so loud that I can't get to sleep. Instead of tossing and turning and/or putting a pillow over my head to drown out the noise, I've decided to come down to my computer and blog away until I pass out from exhaustion.

I was just reading an article about Nicole Kidman, and it led me reminisce. I've never told anyone about this [except for a select few], though its nothing 'top secret' or incredibly horrid. Its actually a rather fond memory for me. But I just never told people about it-- not sure why.

When Erica was born, Andrew held her for the first hour. Then they carted her off to the nursery so that I could sleep. Between all of the visitors and such, I didn't get much time with her in the hospital at all. When we got home, Andrew was kind enough that weekend to stay up nights with her so that I could recuperate. Then my mom came for a week and did a lot to take care of Erica.

Now, let me say-- I really DID appreciate the help. I was so worn out and exhausted. But when the time came that everyone was gone and it was just me and 'the baby,' I felt like I didn't know her. I hadn't bonded with her at all, and she was already two weeks old. To me, it seemed like she was just this little person that I had to take care of.

It was making me sad. But then I just said to myself: "Self, you need to bond with this baby!" So, I watched "Moulin Rouge" while holding my sleeping baby, and I sang every song to her. By the time the 2 hour movie ended, I felt totally and completely bonded to my daughter. My Erica.

Well, that's my story. That movie still holds a special place in my heart. And of course, so does Erica.

2 comments:

Abigail S said...

Awww! That's so sweet :)

Crazy Me said...

I couln't read after you said crickets. I hate crickets. Yuck!